Tuesday, August 2, 2011

.: Faraway beginning :.


Determined individuals.


Friends from Raleigh will organize a project and the monthly meet with the Orang Asal/Asli settlement. As much as I want to be there and partake in the activities, I am afraid the possibilities are nil as I already made plans to spend some quality family time at home. Nevertheless, I am sharing it here in case anyone would like to get out there and join these inspiring Raleighians for some fun, laughter and a worthwhile experience. :)

___________________________________________________

... Hands On Orang Asal Project ...

Date :: 7th August 2011

Time :: 8.00am – 6.30pm

Gathering point :: Gombak LRT Station


Abstract
:: Lending a hand to the Gombak Orang Asal community by building small bamboo huts to promote eco-tourism activities in the area. All proceeds will go to a single mother (the owner of the land) to subsidize the schooling costs of her children.

You will have the opportunity to learn ::
  • How to build a bamboo hut
  • How to weave the atap (roof)
  • Other traditional Orang Asal building techniques
___________________________________________________

... August Monthly Meet
...

Date :: 13th August 2011

Time :: 8.00am – 1.00pm

Gathering point :: Gombak LRT Station

Fees :: RM5 for members and RM8 for non-members.

Location :: Orang Asal Waterfall Village, Gombak

Abstract :: The Orang Asal are the indigenous people of Malaysia. Although development has overwhelmed the City of Kuala Lumpur over the last two decades, there still lives a small communal group of Orang Asal in the laid back hills of Gombak. The schedule includes cleaning the waterfall, Raleigh EGM [Extra Ordinary General Meeting], speech by Orang Asal, swimming and lunch.

If you have any queries, please drop them an email at info@raleighinternational.org.my or call 012-3386908. Alternatively, you may also contact me and I will direct you to the person(s)-in-charge.

Community outreach.
4.13pm Malaysian Time

2 comments:

Sketched Soul said...

As-salaamu'alaykum dearest sister,

Oh..I wish I lived there!!!

Anyway.. hope your Ramadaan is going well :)

Love Farh

Hajar Alwi said...

Wa'alaikum'as'salam lovely Farhana!

I think I can make room for you. lol~

Alhamdulillah. I'm working on it. Hugs & love to you. :)