Wednesday, September 21, 2016

.: Workplace flexibility :.


Working from home.

Recently read an article on LinkedIn: "How Work-From-Home Can Work For The Best". 

Extracts
Para 2: In an interesting survey on workplace flexibility1 conducted by Randstad, 53% of respondents said they preferred telecommuting or working from home. Of this number, the gender split was almost equal - meaning that an equal number of men and women preferred telecommuting to working from an office.
Para 6, Line 3: For these women, flexibility and telecommuting play a big role in helping them to balance their personal and professional lives. This sort of flexibility empowers women to be the best that they can be, by giving them an enabling environment to contribute and be productive on their own terms.

1 year and 8 months have passed since I started working from home. Although the nature of my work is on a freelance basis, it comes with a fixed income and certain perks. Needless to say, I have no intention of turning back the clock just yet to re-enter the 9 to 5 job market. 

At my age I suppose we tend to value things differently. Top priority now is on establishing a healthy balance, between family, personal and working life. No longer do I have the adrenaline rush to make the next million or climb the corporate ladder. Emphasis is on nurturing relationships, discovering beautiful memories and working on self-development, the few yet crucial things that I lacked of when I was a part of the rat race.

Being productive on our own terms. That is the kind of life I am living now. If you ever wonder whether you should make the leap of faith into the flexible working lifestyle, just ask yourself what are your priorities. Your priorities will determine your commitments, your next course of action. Will it be difficult? Like any path, the difficulty level depends on your ability to manage and adapt to the situation. Only you can make it work. 

Of course it helps a lot if you have a supportive environment. 

One fine example is my current working arrangement does not limit me. I am not bounded by a contract that says I cannot be commissioned by others. As long as I deliver accordingly, I am given the mobility to spread my wings far and wide, enabling me to further develop and acquire new skills, experiences and working relationships. 

While it may be a tad bit early for a new year's resolution, come 2017 I hope I can continue to make some kind of contribution to the society and the industries. Without having to trade-off my priorities.

Fingers crossed.
10.36am, Malaysian Time

No comments: